Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings, 1 1/2 cups
2 hearts of romaine lettuce
1 hot house cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced 1/4 inch wide half moons
4 radishes, sliced thin
1 California avocado, ripe
1/2 cup Green Goddess Dressing
1 tablespoon chives, cut 1/4 inch wide
Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Cut lettuce in half lengthwise, remove core and cut into 1inch wide pieces, wash well and spin in salad spinner to remove excess water.
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, and radishes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Use a large kitchen spoon to scoop out the flesh. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss romaine mixture with the salad dressing, adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon, gently mix in the avocado.
- Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle with chives.
The cucumbers, radishes and lettuce can be cut in advance. Wait until the last minute to cut the avocado or it will brown.
- Replace cucumber and radishes, with any of the following vegetables: jicama, tomato, red, green or yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm, or celery.
- For a heartier salad: add 8 ounces of cooked chicken breast cut in ½ inch pieces tossed with 2 tablespoons dressing.