The bright flavors of lime and cilantro complement the mild flavor of watermelon and the richness of avocado. Hass avocados, the most common variety consumed worldwide, are actually native to California. California avocados are known for their exceptional flavor, adding a delicious, creamy texture and beautiful color to many dishes.
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 cups arugula
1/2 cup Simple Spicy Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
1 pound shrimp, cooked
4 cups watermelon, cut in 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup red onion, sliced thing and rinsed
1 tablespoon cilantro
2 California avocados, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss arugula with salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Combine shrimp, watermelon, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl. Gently toss. Add avocado and the rest of the vinaigrette. Toss just to mix, being careful not to mash the avocados. Place on top of the arugula.
Culinary Note: For a quick and easy meal, use thawed frozen cooked shrimp.
- Replace watermelon with oranges or grapefruit during the winter.
- Replace watermelon with mango.
- Add 1/2 cup sliced radishes.