With this unique dish, flash back to the days when pizza for breakfast was commonplace. The inclusion of tomatoes, asparagus, garlic, and herbs means you get plenty of vitamins and beneficial phytochemicals.
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1 12-inch whole-wheat Italian bread shell (such as Boboli brand)
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or oregano
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup fresh asparagus bias-cut into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon minced)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large tomato, halved and sliced
Chopped fresh tomato (optional)
Chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place bread shell on a 12-inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, 2 teaspoons tarragon, kosher salt, and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook asparagus and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Pour eggs over asparagus in skillet. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around the edge.
- Using a spatula, lift and fold the partially cooked eggs so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat immediately.
- Arrange tomato slices evenly around the edge of the baked bread shell. Spoon scrambled egg mixture in the center. If desired, garnish with additional chopped tomato and tarragon. Cut into wedges; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 250 calories, 13 g protein, 10 g total fat (2.5 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 212 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 53 weighted glycemic index
Culinary Note: Toasting the bread shell until golden brown prevents it from becoming soggy once the tomatoes are placed on top.
Southwest Breakfast Pizza
Omit tarragon and asparagus. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons chile powder to egg mixture. Sauté 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1/4 cup chopped scallions, and 1/2 cup drained black beans. Add egg mixture and cook until just set; add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Garnish with fresh tomato salsa, or chopped tomatoes and cilantro with lime juice.
Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Breakfast Pizza Fold in 1/2 cup smoked salmon cut in 1/2-inch pieces and 1/4 cup sliced scallions when the eggs are almost done.
Sign up to access 100s more Sonoma recipes now!